Pursuant to the Company's Statute, the Supervisory Board is composed of 6 to 15 members appointed by: (i) General Meeting, (ii) Company's employees and (iii) the State Treasury. The Supervisory Board should be as a minimum composed of one person nominated by the General Meeting from among the persons satisfying the independence criterion specified in the corporate governance rules adopted by the Supervisory Board of WSE.
Presently, the Supervisory Board of Enea SA is composed of eight people and operates in the 8th term. The present composition of the Supervisory Board, as at the publication date of this report, i.e. 20 March 2015, is presented in Chapter 5. The Capital Group's authorities are described on page 78.
Changes in the composition of the Supervisory Board
On 22 January 2014 a resignation from the position of a Member of the Supervisory Board of Enea SA with immediate effect was submitted by Mr. Torbjörn Wahlborg.
The Supervisory Board operates based on the provisions of the Commercial Companies Code, Company's Statute and Rules of the Supervisory Board of Enea SA adopted with the resolution of the Supervisory Board of 15 December 2009, as amended.
The Supervisory Board supervises all the operations of the Company on an ongoing basis. Special duties of the Supervisory Board include the assessment of the Management Board's report on the Company's operations and financial statements for the previous financial year as regards their compliance with the accounts and documents, and with the current situation.
Additionally, the Supervisory Board's competences include the assessment of the Management Board's motions relating to the distribution of profit or coverage of a loss, and also presenting an annual written statement of such an assessment to the General Meeting.
The Supervisory Board convenes at least once every two months. Meetings of the Supervisory Board are convened by the Chairman or Vice-Chairman of the Board, who will also present a detailed agenda. A Supervisory Board's meeting should be convened at the request of any Supervisory Board member or at the request of the Management Board.
Participation in Supervisory Board meetings is obligatory for Board members. Supervisory Board members are required to justify their absence from a Meeting in writing. The Supervisory Board Member absence reconciliation requires a resolution of the Supervisory Board.
A meeting of the Board will be convened within two weeks from the date when a request is received. For a meeting of the Supervisory Board to be convened, all the members of the Board must be invited in writing at least seven days before the meeting. For valid reasons, the Chairman of the Supervisory Board can reduce that period to two days, specifying the manner of delivering the invitations.
In an invitation to a meeting of the Supervisory Board, the Chairman will specify the time and venue of the meeting and include a detailed draft agenda. He/she will also enclose materials with the invitation relating to the matters included on the agenda. In cases indicated in the Rules of the Supervisory Board meetings of the Supervisory Board may also be held with no formal convening.
Supervisory Board meetings are chaired by its Chairman, or, in his/her absence, by the Vice-Chairman or other Supervisory Board member appointed at the meeting. The Chairman of the Supervisory Board, and in his/her absence, a Vice-Chairman or another Supervisory Board member chairing the meeting, ensures an efficient and proper course of the Supervisory Board's meetings, in accordance with the adopted agenda, legal regulations, the Statute and the Rules of the Supervisory Board of Enea SA, and in particular he/she has an exclusive right to:
- open, proceed and close meetings of the Supervisory Board
- give and take back the floor to members of the Supervisory Board
- issue standing orders
- order a voting, supervise its proper progress and announce results
- settle order issues
- order breaks in meetings of the Supervisory Board
- issue instructions to a keeper of the minutes of the meeting of the Supervisory Board
- distribute written resolutions of the Supervisory Board
- undertake other actions necessary for an efficient operation of the Supervisory Board
On recognition of each submitted matter members of the Supervisory Board are entitled to assess draft resolutions in a discussion and submit amendments to them, however the discussion should proceed in accordance with the following principles (§ 4 item 7a of the Rules of the Supervisory Board):
- a member of the Supervisory Board may speak exclusively on matters included in the agenda within the scope of the item of the agenda under discussion
- on considering each business from the agenda, depending on its nature, the Chairman may set a time limit for its discussion by each speaker
- the Chairman shall have the right to instruct the speaker who diverges from the topic, exceeds permitted time limits, or makes prohibited utterances
- the Chairman shall have the right to take the floor back from speakers who do not adhere to the Chairman’s remarks or to the provisions of the Regulations
- the Chairman shall decide on termination of the discussion
- The proposed agenda can be changed if all the members of the Supervisory Board are present at the meeting and no one objects to the agenda. Any matters that are not included on the agenda will be included on the agenda of the next meeting.
- The Supervisory Board can adopt resolutions if at least half of its members are present at the meeting and all of the members have been correctly notified of the meeting. The Supervisory Board shall adopt resolutions by an absolute majority of votes cast. In the event of an equal number of votes in adopting a Supervisory Board resolution, the casting vote is held by the Chairman of the Supervisory Board.
- Subject to the cases described in the Commercial Companies Code the Supervisory Board can also adopt resolutions in writing, by signing the same copy (or copies) or the draft resolution or separate documents with the same content, or by telephone or by other means of remote communication, in a manner that allows all the Members participating in the meeting to directly communicate with each other.
- Adopting a resolution by this procedure requires that a justification for the resolution be drawn up in advance and that a draft resolution be presented to all the members of the Supervisory Board together with the justification. Resolutions adopted in writing or remotely using means of direct communication are presented at the next meeting of the Supervisory Board with the outcome of the voting. Supervisory Board members may participate in adopting resolutions by casting votes in writing through another Supervisory Board Member, subject to Article 388 § 2 and 4 of the Commercial Companies Code.
- Full text of the Statute and the Rules of the Supervisory Board of Enea SA with the description of the operations of the Supervisory Board is published on www.enea.pl/en/ under "Investor relations" -> "Corporate governance".